Tuesday 9 April 2013

Book Haul #1 - March 2013


So in the month of March I managed to obtain a collection of 24 books! Below is a list of all the books I got and how I got them.

~BOUGHT~

1. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

I've heard amazing things about this book and I want to be in on it's amazingness. Also have  you seen the cover? It looks even better up close. 

2. Graceling by Kristin Cashmore

I liked the premise of this story and from what I hear this is the best book in the series.

3. Bzrk by Michael Grant

I absolutely love Michael Grant and so after reading the first books in his GONE series I picked up the first book in his next gripping trilogy.

4. Light by Michael Grant

The GONE series has to be one of most favorite book series' of all time. I still kick myself sometimes for not reading them sooner. LIGHT is the the very last book in this six part collection and having already read it, it is worth the wait.

5. Heart Shaped Bruise by Tanya Byrne 

When I first read the synopsis of this book i was really intrigued and so it wasn't a hard decision to pick this debut novel up.

6. Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Again, this is a novel I have heard great things about and I really like the thought of retelling classic fairytales so this should be an enjoyable read.

7. The Diviners by Libba Bray 

I first spotted this book in Waterstone's a couple of months back and really wanted to get it but me being my stingy self refused to pay £12.99 for the first book in a series. So after months of waiting I got an excellent copy for £4.20! I do have very high expectations for this book so, fingers crossed it was worth the wait.

8. Article 5 by Kristen Simmons

Article 5 was another book I really like but really did not want to pay full price for considering it's the first in a series, I still payed a bit but it is in hardback but I think it was worth it as I've been waiting to get this novel for over a year now. 

9. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

I was going to get SHATTER ME a year ago when I spotted it on Amazon but upon looking on the authors Tumblr page I found out that the series covers were going to change. If there is one thing I hate it's book covers not matching. So even though it ment sacrificing a hardback I at least will have a series of book covers that will match.  Also I don't think this book is even released in the UK because I haven't seen it in any shops and the book I got from Amazon has its price in dollars...

10. Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

My P.E recommended this book to me back when I used to turn up to P.E. I don't know this was kind of like The Hunger Games to me. The synopsis didn't appeal to me but hopefully like THG I'll love this series.  

11. Unwind by Neal Shusterman 

I had this book in my basket and literally was just going to buy it when it told me it was out of stock, then when searching on Amazon I found out the covers had changed! So when the new cover was released I snapped up to buy it, I'm just glad I saved myself the heartache of mismatching book covers.

12. Slated by Teri Terry 

A book by a British author, set in Britain! You do not know how much this makes me happy. A lot of my fellow Britons have had nothing but good things to say about this book and it seems really good and with the second novel already out, it's about time I started reading it!

13. Drowning Instinct by Isla J. Bick

I spotted this in Asda one day and found the blurb interesting; teacher, student relationships aren't usually the romance most YA's go for. Also I've got my eye on Bick's ASHES series... 

14. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

At first I heard a lot of good things about this debut novel and then I heard some mixed things but overall things seem pretty good. I was a bit wary  about getting this novel because I tend to stay away from books set in medieval time but I shouldn't let that be a major factor in my book picking.

15. Geek Girl by Holly Smale

Again, saw this in Asda along with DROWNING INSTINCT and have heard quite a buzz about this British book. I'm not sure if it really appeals to me but at £3.50 I had to buy it.

16. The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda

March was WBD (World Book Day) and seeing as I no longer attend primary school I can't get my £1 book voucher anymore, (I loved those.) So while browsing Waterstone's I discovered that they were selling the first books in two different series for £1. That was all the reasoning I needed to buy this book. Plus, it sounds pretty darn cool.

17. Girl, Missing by Sophie McKenzie 

This was another book that was being sold for £1 online at Waterstone's. I have heard a lot about Sophie McKenzie's books but I've never actually read them. So hopefully this will be an enjoyable read.

18. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Yes, I know. But I had to get in on what makes these books so good. From what I hear they get better as they go on, which makes me think that the first one isn't very good but I guess I'll find out. Also someone on a forum totally mention a character who's going to die, I know that this series finished ages ago but ugh, I just hope that this guys dies soon so that I don't go an entire series knowing that he's going to die in the end. Otherwise it'll just end up like the first three books in the TMI series where I knew the whole thing with Jace and Clary which I believe influenced the way I felt about the novels. 

19. Legend by Marie Lu

Again, this series has been getting a lot of buzz and has been on my list for some time but I never got round to buying it, which may have had something to do with my dislike for the cover. But hip hip horrah they changed it, which was my cue to buy it. 

20. Hunting Lila by Sarah Alderson

This book was one of the first books I put on my first book list over a year ago and it's been sitting there ever since. The synopsis sound interesting and intriguing and so that was my main desire to acquire this book. Hopefully it will live up to my high expectations.  

21. The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman 

An author who I can't remember recommended this book and it took me a while to get it but it's finally made it's way to my book pile. 

22. Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy

I know this series is aimed for a younger audience but I really liked the sound of it. I've started reading it already and it's pretty thrilling.


~WON~

1. Black City by Elizabeth Richards 

I can't remember exactly how I cam across this book but I remember finding the cover beautiful and after reading the synopsis I wanted it. Real bad. Problem was, it's not released in the states, even though the author is British and lives in the UK, but anywho. I like Elizabeth Richards facebook page and asked her about it and she said she didn't know when it would be released here. So basically I had a waiting game. Then one day she posted a competition on her page and all you had to do was say why you wanted a copy of her book and then three people would win. And it was international! So all I simply said was that I really wanted to read her book and I couldn't get it in the UK. I ended up being one of the three people (the only one from the UK) to win a copy. So yeah, looking forward to this!

2. Noble Conflict by Malorie Blackman [ARC] 

Malorie Blackman is my favourite author, ever. And so when I found out she was releasing a new book I stamped the release date in my diary. But then came the announcement that 10 proof copies of the book where being given away by the publishing house. All I had to do was go on Blackman's website at 5pm on a Thursday and wait further instructions. and so came Thursday and i refreshed and refreshed until I was told what I need to do and BAM! Done. 1 week later I get a email telling me I was one of the first 10 and my copy was in the post. Happy days! 

No comments:

Post a Comment